65 babies safe after fire broke out at Guahati Medical College Hospital.

Fire at Guahati Medical College HospitalGuwahati: Several dozen babies in the Paediatrics ICU of Gauhati Medical College Hospital had an astonishing escape after a fire broke out today.

The fire, at this point in time, is believed to have happening in an air conditioning unit following a short circuit, but any other reason can only be determined after a systematic investigation.

The sources said that quick action was taken by doctors and staff who rushed to the site instantly after smoke started emanating from the AC unit. In the process of fire fighting, a number of persons inhaled toxic fumes. Two doctors, Dr Ramen Talukdar and Dr Rupam Barman are being treated for smoke inhalation.

Dr Kabul Saikia, Principal and Chief Superintendent of GMCH told that all the 65 babies who were in the room are safe, and the ICU is back to normal operation.

An investigation committee has been constituted, which will report to the Principal immediately. He has also written to the Chief Engineer of PWD’s electrical division to carry out a complete investigation about the state of electrical wirings and fittings in the entire hospital. A complete electrical audit will also take place the whole GMCH campus after submission of the investigation committee report.

Doctors, who wished obscurity, have revealed that some of the electrical wirings in the GMCH are old and show wear and tear. They also blame defective electrical systems for harm to expensive medical equipment which have been bought in the last decade.

Leave a comment